The Health Benefits Of Algae
Algae, the oldest living organism found on earth, is known to bestow enormous health benefits to its users.
Algae are primitive chlorophyllic and eukaryotic organisms, that do not have true stems, roots and leaves. They are primary producers in aquatic ecosystems and marine organisms. Most of them are edible in nature and have been consumed in different forms since ancient times.
Over the years, research has proven many health benefits associated with algae. It is commonly used as a dietary supplement to improve general health and wellness. Some of important health benefits of algae include:
- Beta-Carotene: Algae is known to have a high concentration of beta-carotene, which helps fight some specific types of cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
- Antioxidant: Full of antioxidants, algae helps restrict the growth of free radicals and toxics. Antioxidants also aid in production of necessary enzymes, needed to keep the body’s function smooth.
- Better Digestion: As it is organic in nature and full of enzymes, it is easily digestible and light on the stomach. It is known to help in smooth bowel movements, thereby reducing the occurrence of all abdomen muscle associated diseases.
- Protein and Complex Sugar: Algae is considered a complete source of protein, as it contains amino acids, minerals and many vitamins, essential for the growth of hair, skin and nails.
- Immunity Booster: Algae contains immune boosting and stimulating properties such as amino acids, minerals, proteins and vitamins. These help fight infections, detoxify the immune system and aid in building the body’s resistance to infections.
- Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA): There are only two sources of GLA found; mother’s milk and spirulina, a blue-green algae. GLA is essential to the development and growth of babies. Deficiency in nutrition reduces GLA in the mother’s milk, which results in poor baby health.
- Chronic Disease Treatment: Algae is known to treat diabetes, anemia, liver disease, ulcers, allergies, radiation and chemical poisoning. Its concentrated sugar helps to stabilize blood sugar levels in people with high or low blood sugar.
- Nutrients: Algae ensures a healthy nutrient level for people who diet, as well as people who detoxify their bodies regularly. The amino acids present in algae are known to influence neurotransmitters in the brain that control appetite.
- Alkaline Food: A balanced diet consists of 80% alkaline food and 20% acidic food. An acidic body is vulnerable to diseases. Algae is considered a natural source of alkaline food.
Other Benefits of Algae:
- Presence of calcium and magnesium, which are essential for strong bones.
- High levels of iron, useful for anemic people and pregnant or lactating women.
- It helps to reduce anxiety and treat sleep disorders.
- It is popular in weight reduction diets.
- Algae contains the nutrient zeaxanthin, which is good for the eyes.
- Regular consumption of algae helps to enhance memory and increase concentration and focus.
Consuming algae as a regular health supplement helps improve the overall development and growth of the body, as it contains almost all nutrients, minerals, vitamins, proteins, amino and nucleic acids, chlorophyll, fiber, etc. There are many types of algae available, like spirulina and chlorella. It is mostly available as powders, capsules, tablets, etc.