Benefits of Aquatic Therapy for Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS)
Aquatic Physical Therapy focuses on the musculoskeletal system’s condition and primary functions.
Fibromyalgia (FM) is a chronic disorder characterized by:
- Widespread musculoskeletal pain.
- Multiple tender points that occurs in precise, localized areas, particularly in the neck, spine, shoulders, and hips.
Fibromyalgia may also cause sleep disturbances, morning stiffness ,anxiety, and other symptoms.
Immersion in warm waters brings most Fibromyalgia sufferers a sense of relaxation. But there is more to it than that.
Aquatic Physical Therapy focuses on the musculoskeletal system’s condition and primary functions, which include supporting the body and allowing motion. Aqua Physical Therapy exercise will lead to:
- Restored function
- Improved mobility
- Increased motor skills
- Improved muscle and bone strength and realignment
- Enhanced joint function and flexibility
- Reduced joint pain and stiffness
- An overall feeling of increased vitality
We will analyze and unravel your body’s condition to create a special Aqua Physical Therapy program that meet your needs that may include:
- Proper posture exercises – to allows efficient muscle function
- Range-of-motion exercises – to improve musculoskeletal function
- Trunk muscle exercises – to improve stabilization and support to the spine for balance, coordination and endurance
- Slow stretching exercises – to improve muscle flexibility
- Relaxation exercises – to reduce muscle tension
Increases Strength and Relieves Fibromyalgia Symptoms
Aquatic Physical Therapy exercise will lead to an increase in endorphins released by the hypothalamus, which are healing and uplifting, with natural pain-relieving and sleep-deepening effects, as well as anxiety and depression relief. More benefits are as follows:
- Increase strength and endurance of the musculoskeletal system
- Improve muscle endurance and flexibility
- Increase range of motion
- Decrease Fibromyalgia pain
- Improve cognitive ability
- Improve blood circulation
- Slow bone density loss
- Remove metabolic waste
- Improve cardiac function
- Lower blood pressure
- Assist the body in tissue healing