Watsu Therapy Benefits for the Spine
Body temperature water, and the continuous support it provides, is ideal for freeing the spine.
The following are Watsu therapy benefits for the spine:
- It takes the weight off the vertebrae and relaxes the muscles. Unrestricted by contraction, the circulation can carry away metabolites left over in the muscles, thereby reducing soreness and fatigue.
- The reduced requirements of oxygen found in states of weightlessness help calm the respiration.
- The relaxation of tension in the spine and the musculature, by removing excess pressure on the nerves, improves the tone and functioning of the whole body and the organs those nerves service.
- It allows the spine to be moved in ways impossible on land.
This freeing of the spine is so important that it is the focus at the beginning of each Watsu®. Even someone not flexible enough to be put into positions for Watsu’s more complex stretches receives great benefits from its simple rocking and gentle gradual twists.
Just as stretches and rotations of the arms and legs open up meridians flowing throughout them, this articulation of the spine helps open its energy pathways. Experiencing this greater flexibility and freedom reprograms you will able to face life out of the water with greater equanimity and flexibility.
- Schoedinger, P. 2011. Watsu in aquatic rehabilitation. pp 137-153, Chapter 5 In: Becker, BE and Cole, AJ (eds). Comprehensive aquatic therapy, 3rd edition. Washington State University Press. .
- Dougherty L, Dunlap E, and Mehler S. 2008. The rehabilitative benefits of Watsu. pp 108-116. Chapter 9 In: Dull, H. Watsu: freeing the body in water, 4th edition. Watsu Publishing. .
- Watsu® In Aquatic Rehabilitation by Peggy Schoedinger, PT
- Benefits of Watsu® For People With Orthopedic, Neurologic And Rheumatologic Special Needs by Peggy Schoedinger, PT
- Watsu® Therapy for Athletes By Tomasz Zagorski