What is Healing Dance Therapy?
The healing power of movement
Aquatic Therapy Technique, Developed by Alexander George in 1993
A graceful and powerful form of aquatic bodywork, conducted in warm water, integrating elements of Watsu ®, WaterDance ®, Trager Work, movement and dance. Healing Dance therapy reflects how water and the body naturally move together.
The essence of Healing Dance therapy is flow, freedom and lightness. Healing Dance therapy is based on the philosophy that movements and touch are therapeutic, so the remedial process in the body is activated by experience of the “received dance”.
Healing Dance therapy combines beautiful movements characterized by spaciousness, flow, freedom, lightness, and three dimensionality.
The Healing Dance therapy is based on wave movements for the entire body, embraces, releases, traction, smooth transitions, joint mobilization and massage, all woven together in the flow.
Blocked energies are opened up by hydrodynamic waves and spirals, as well as spatial mandalas in the form of circles, figure 8’s and releases, freeing and reanimating your entire body.
What started as a playful movement investigation, refined itself from the pure delight of movement to the realization of its full healing potential.
- Decrease in pain
- Decrease in emotional pain
- Brings locked feelings back into awareness
- Helps overcome stored tension or trauma
- Decreases anxiety
- Promotes profound relaxation, peace and joy
- Enhances the parasympathetic nervous system
- Decreases reticular activating system RAS activity
- Improves sleep patterns
- Reduce soreness and fatigue
- Improves digestion
- Enhances immune system response
- Improve healing, promote body and soul balance
- Releases blockages along meridians
- Opens chi (Qi) energy pathways
- Increases body energy
- Encourages detoxification
- Simulating the endocrine system
- Releasing hormones responsible for urine and metabolism
- Increase range of motion
- Strengthens muscles
- Increases muscle relaxation
- Decreases muscle spasm
- Decreases spasticity (muscular hypertonicity)
Healing Dance® movements leads to release of physical holding patterns due to disorientation and absence of gravity in water.
The figure 8 movements helps bring a person to center.
Alcohol and smoking are prohibited during activities.
There are several precautions you need to consider before participating the thermal aquatic bodywork:
- confusion or disorientation
- after ingestion of alcoholic beverages
- under the influence of narcotic
- respiratory problems
- medical condition affecting the spine
- spinal disc herniation (slipped disc)
- limited strength, endurance, balance, or range of motion
You can not participate if you suffer from any of the following conditions:
- incontinence diarrhea, bowel/bladder incontinence
- vomiting (emesis)
- seizure (epilepsy) disorders
- open wounds or non-healing ulcers
- contagious skin condition
- high fever
- hepatitis C
- infectious diseases
- ear infection (otitis)
- urinary infections
- perforated eardrum
- eye infection
- heart disease (abnormal heart function), cardiac failure
- blood pressure disorder (untreated)
- pregnancy (after the 17th week, with your physician approval)
- chemotherapy and radiation therapy (after the 3rd month)
- allergies or sensitivities to pool chemicals
- excessive fear of water
- colostomy bag/catheter use by patient
Healing Dance I
Healing Dance II
Healing Dance ® developed by Alexander George in 1993
Alexander is one of the first Watsu ® practitioners that were trained by its founder, Harold Dull. In 1990, practicing Watsu ® in the water while being a resident at Harbin Hot Springs in northern California, Alexander began experimenting and improvising, discovering new ways the body can move in the water using elements from his background as a professional ballet dancer, choreographer, Trager Work practitioner, and a WaterDance ® practitioner.
Alexander George is one of WABA’s senior instructors; since 1991 he has led over 200 week long 50-hour intensives in Anatomy, Massage, Barefoot Shiatsu, Watsu®, Healing Dance ® and WaterDance ®. Alexander presently leads trainings in the US, Europe, Israel and Brazil, teaching in English, German or Portuguese as required.
- Alexander George Creator & Instructor of Healing Dance®
- Healing Dance® Dance Instructors
- Healing Dance® Organization