What is Aqua Aerobics?
A water workout that is good for your heart and easy on your joints.
Aqua Aerobics combines a variety of exercises in warm water:
- Walking or running backward and forward, along with various limbs movements.
- The Aqua Aerobics exercise may also incorporate equipment such as flotation devices.
- Submersion in water to the neck depth increases cardiac output, 32% at rest, making water exercise aerobically efficient.
Health Benefits of Aqua Aerobics
- Decrease pain
- Decrease anxiety
- Promotes relaxation, peace and joy
- Improve sleep patterns
- Reduce soreness and fatigue
- Improve digestion
- Enhance immune system response
- Improve healing
- Increase body energy
- Increased circulation, endurance, flexibility, range of motion, balance, and coordination.
- Improves muscle tone and strength.
- Develop muscular and cardiovascular endurance.
- Improves self esteem.
- Reduction in gravitational force provides therapeutic benefits.
- Provides psychological benefits.
- Overall improvement in quality of life.
- Increased metabolism and strength.
- Recreation and socialization.
- Requires no swimming ability, which makes it possible for non-swimmers to participate
Activities in warm water:
- Promote well-being
- Reduce anxiety
- Alleviate chronic pain
- Relieve stress
- Ease the pain of fibromyalgia
It is believed that the thermal properties of water assist healing. The body’s reaction to hot and cold water causes the nerves at the surface of the skin to carry impulses deep into the body. This reaction is thought to:
- Lessen pain sensitivity
- Stimulate the immune system
- Aid lymphatic drainage
- Increase blood circulation
It is also likely to leave you both physically and mentally relaxed.
Bodywork in warm water can release energy and balance chi
Thermal aquatic bodywork is an effective way of mobilizing “Chi” (life force) through the “Meridians” (lines of energy in the body). Body temperature water offers a unique and ideal medium for freeing energy. The lightness of the body in water allows the Aquatic practitioner to float you, which has the following effects:
- Frees the spinal vertebrae
- Rotates joint articulations
- Elongates muscles
All of the above benefits are simply not possible with land exercise.
Alcohol and smoking are prohibited during activities.
There are several precautions you need to consider before participating the thermal aquatic bodywork:
- confusion or disorientation
- after ingestion of alcoholic beverages
- under the influence of narcotic
- respiratory problems
- medical condition affecting the spine
- spinal disc herniation (slipped disc)
- limited strength, endurance, balance, or range of motion
You can not participate if you suffer from any of the following conditions:
- incontinence diarrhea, bowel/bladder incontinence
- vomiting (emesis)
- seizure (epilepsy) disorders
- open wounds or non-healing ulcers
- contagious skin condition
- high fever
- hepatitis C
- infectious diseases
- ear infection (otitis)
- urinary infections
- perforated eardrum
- eye infection
- heart disease (abnormal heart function), cardiac failure
- blood pressure disorder (untreated)
- pregnancy (after the 17th week, with your physician approval)
- chemotherapy and radiation therapy (after the 3rd month)
- allergies or sensitivities to pool chemicals
- excessive fear of water
- colostomy bag/catheter use by patient
WaterGym – WATER AEROBICS EXERCISES
What are the physiological changes in our body during Aqua Aerobics exercise:
- Decreased heart rate
- Decreased rate of respiration
- Increased depth of respiration
- Increased peripheral vasodilatation
- Increased smooth muscle activity (digestion)
- Decreased activation of striated muscles (skeletal)
- Decreased spasticity
- Decreased muscle spasm
- Decreased reticular activating system (RAS) activity
- Enhanced immune system response
- Aquatic Fitness Professionals
- Aquatic Exercise Professionals
- Aquatic Organizations for fitness & Exercise
More on Aqua Aerobics